Thursday, July 23, 2009

13. Laugh!


The people that know and love me get a glimpse of someone who is a total goof ball. I love to tell jokes and funny stories and laugh until I double over in pain. I like little laughs and big huge ones. I love laughing with friends while talking about old times or with my family about something hilarious that one of us does at the dinner table. I love laughing with strangers at the movies or with my students during class discussions.

I'd like to think that I laugh as often as I can. But life can sometimes drop a lot of speed bumps on our path and laughing might seem like the last thing you want to do. Voltaire said, "God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." There are some situations that are simply not funny and don't warrant hysterical fits of giggles. But there are also times when things are serious and we should laugh. Laughter can be some powerful medicine. Letting go and allowing ourselves to just enjoy the moment and each other can be so freeing. Stop over-thinking, have a glass of wine and get silly. 

Laugh and when you're done, laugh some more. No one on their death bed ever said, "Gee, I wish I hadn't laughed so much. That was a bummer. Should have done some more work or something." I came across this wedding video online and thought that it summed up the idea of play, of fun and of just having a good time. This couple clearly understands that no situation is so serious that it can't include laughs. 


3 comments:

  1. So funny--I just watched this (prior to reading your blog) and loved it, and just passed it on to five people who passed it on again. Makes me want to do my wedding all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! I love it so much. I think it's so great that they didn't take themselves so seriously...would have loved to be a guest at that wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to comment on how the picture makes me think of my sister and I, we always find stupid things to laugh about when we're together, then I watched the video and it just made me realise that we don't need to take everything so seriously in life. Thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete